Yesterday we spent our time organizing and decluttering our pantry and the day before we did the refrigerator! In order to meal plan for the week, I figured it only made sense that next we need to be organizing and decluttering the freezer. Therefore, today’s challenge is organizing and decluttering your freezer.
- First, remove all food from the freezer.
- If you need to thaw it out (this works better when it’s warm in the summer). If you don’t go ahead and wipe it down. If you plan on washing the shelves, make sure you let them adjust to room temperature before immersing them in water to avoid cracking.
- Next you need to take a look at what foods you have in the freezer. If you are sure you will never eat it, it needs to go. Either throw it out, or give it to someone who will. If food is obviously freezer burnt, throw it out.
- To get rid of odor, remember to change an open box of baking soda every 3 months. An easy way to know when it’s time to change is to simply write the date on the box when you put it in the freezer. (This is also true with the refrigerator).
- Next, declutter the outside of your refrigerator and freezer. Start with the top! Remove all clutter and wipe it down. I heard a great tip the other day that if you decorate the top of your refrigerator, you will not clutter it up. It’s definitely a tip worth trying if you have a problem with clutter there!
- Move to the front and sides of the freezer and refrigerator and throw away papers that are outdated or unnecessary. If your kids feel the need to decorate it up with art work and you aren’t going to keep it, suggest mailing it to Grandma or a friend.
In case you have missed any days in this series, here they are! (Don’t worry you can jump in right where we are in the series and go back later if you want to catch up or just finish out what we’re working on with us! I’m so happy that you are joining us in organizing and decluttering your home!)
Day 11 Update: Day 11: Day 10 Update: Day 10: Day 9 Update: Day 9: Day 8 Update: Day 8: Day 7 Update: Day 7: Day 6 Update: Day 6: Day 5 Update: Day 5: Day 4 Update: Day 4: Day 3 Update: Day 3: Day 2 Update: Day 2: Day 1 Update: Day 1: