What Can You Find That’s Good In Your Day?
Yesterday started out being “one of those days”. You know, the ones where you want to go back to bed, pull the covers over your head, scream obscenities, and then get back out of bed pretending it was a new day. (Well, maybe you don’t want to scream obscenitites…but I sure did!)
The yuck began when I discovered another blogger using my images without permission. There’s nothing more irritating to me as a blogger than finding the images you’ve spent a lot of time creating being used on another site.
As I contemplated whether or not to confront the other blogger, my phone started beeping. It was Blake’s teacher informing me that not only was he having a bad day with his behavior at school, it had been a rough week.
And to think that I had thought it had been an easy-going week at home…
As I got more and more grumpy and tried to get my blog post ready for the day, I decided to hop on Facebook.
Facebook, as Jason says, “is the ruination of society”. Although I agree with him in many ways, I do appreciate Facebook because not only am I able to communicate with my family and all of you, it really is a fast way of connecting with others.
While on Facebook, I found out that one of the children in my kids’ class mother had passed away. I didn’t know this woman very well at all, but it sent me straight to my knees in prayer. My heart ached for this family. As I prayed, I felt a very strong conviction to get over my “stuff” and to be thankful.
Here’s the point: we all have yuck that happens every day. But before we feel sorry for ourselves, get angry, or bitter have you given thanks for what you do have? What can you find that’s good in your day? Do you choose to be positive and live with gratitude?
- When you need to go scrub the toilet, have you given thanks that you have indoor plumbing? There are millions of people who would love to have that luxury.
- When the laundry has piled up for the millionth time this week, have you given thanks that you have access to a washing machine?
- When you get the text that your child has misbehaved, have you given thanks for this child? Somewhere there is a parent who has just said goodbye to their child and would give anything to be able to sit down, cuddle and have a teachable moment.
- When you are angry with your spouse because he forgot to pick something up for you, or take out the trash, have you given thanks for his great qualities? The ones that you fell in love with? What would happen if you woke up tomorrow and you couldn’t tell him how much you love him because he had passed away?
- When you are less than thrilled to make dinner tonight, have you given thanks that you have food to eat? There are millions of starving people who don’t know where their next meal is going to come from or what it’s going to be. That doesn’t make pizza, spaghetti, or hamburgers look that bad, does it?
So with that, have a gratitude-filled day. Look for the joy in your life. Tell people how much you appreciate and love them. Be the good in someone’s world. You never know, you might be the only good they had that day!
Have you enjoyed what you read here today? Do you have friends or other women you know that could benefit from this resource? If so, please do me a favor! I have included the links below to share with other intentional women! They’ll be glad you did!