Christmas is quickly approaching and it’s that time of the year that can be very difficult for many. My family has been so fortunate this year. My kids quickly forget that we have an abundance compared to many. This season, I have really felt an awakening in my heart of intentionally teaching my children how to help and serve others, not just because they have to, but to have a heart for doing serving as well.
I’ve come up with a rather long list of ideas on how to teach them to serve during the holiday season.
- Wrapping presents for elderly friends. My Grandma struggles with arthritis and wrapping has always been difficult for her. Many older people have struggles similar to this and it would be a nice blessing to help them wrap their gifts.
- Take hot chocolate to the Salvation Army Bell Ringers
- Donate toys to a charity who will give them to needy children
- Gather up hats, mittens, and winter clothing for people in need
- Help neighbors put up their Christmas decorations
- Take balloons or small treats to children in the hospital. (I was in the hospital several times as a child, usually around the holidays, and it was such a treat when people remember you!) These treats could include fun socks, art supplies, fun things from the dollar section of your favorite store, or even a card game.
- Write letters Compassion International Children
- Send letters to missionaries over seas
- Send letters to service men and women thanking them for their sacrifices
- Pack Operation Christmas Child boxes
- Collect food for the food pantry
- Deliver a Christmas meal to a family who is struggling
- Play secret Santa to a family who is struggling
- Donate items to the homeless shelter, a local woman’s shelter, or children’s home
- Donate to Samaritan’s Purse
- Take a tray of cookies to local firemen or police officers
- Leave a treat for your mail person
- Work as a family for a charity serving a Christmas meal
- Invite someone to your family Christmas and church celebration who may not have family close or someone else to celebrate with
- Pray for a specific family every night at dinner
How does your family serve during the holidays? I would love to hear your recommendations!