We only have one day left after today in our decluttering challenge! Finish strong! I know you can do this! Today’s challenge is decluttering an extra bedroom. We already did our Master Bedroom and it’s time to attack another bedroom.
Here are some decluttering tips for the extra bedroom (I’m doing my son’s bedroom today who also shares a closet and dresser with his younger brother who sleeps in a different bedroom…it’s complicated and our closet space is limited so this is what works for us):
- If you are doing one of your child’s rooms, have the child help you! You will be teaching life skills, folding clothing, putting away items, and making the bed to name a few.
- You know the saying a place for everything and everything in it’s place… this is really important for kids. What I’ve learned with my own, if they know where things go, the odds of them putting that item away increases drastically. My kids like to have some say in how their room flows. They know which areas they like to play in and by letting them make some of the decisions they are much easier to work with.
- Before you begin, grab the bedding that you can wash, and throw it in the washing machine!
- After you start the laundry, begin at the door and work your way around the room clockwise.
- Have a trash can with you and dispose of the trash right away.
- Grab a bag or box for items to bless others with. I’m sure along the way you will find things that is no longer needed wanted or fits and those can go straight into the box. If it’s not used, loved, or needed bless someone else!
- Have a laundry basket for the items that need to go to other rooms. When you finish, go put those items back where they belong.
- As you find clothes that need put away, go ahead and do it! We have totes on the top shelf for clothes that are too small for boy #1 and are too big for boy #2. When boy #2 grows out of his we sell or donate his clothes and they are out of the house.
- As you do the dresser, only do one drawer at a time! It’s easy to get overwhelmed if you dump them all out and have a huge mountain of clothes that need put away! I have found that by having a drawer for school shirts, pants, and one for socks and undies makes my life a lot easier when the kids can choose what they want to wear themselves.
- Don’t forget to switch the laundry. When the bedding complete, make the bed and you are done!
I hope you can find the time to participate in today’s challenge. If you want to link up, snap a picture and meet back at 6 CST. For those of you who don’t blog, leave a comment and let me know how decluttering your extra bedroom went today! I’m also very excited to find out what you will be blessing others with!
Here are the previous challenges in this series: